Fix audio control issue on Backtrack 5 R1
The latest version of BackTrack 5, R1, has an issue with audio controls. While I have experienced this problem on the GNOME version, I cannot say about the KDE version.
When you make a fresh installation of BT 5 R1, the audio control applet in the panel does not work. The slider moves, but sliding it does not affect the volume. Also, clicking on Sound Preferences displays a message ‘waiting for sound system to respond’ and does nothing. However, the volume can still be controlled in any media player that you use. I use Rythmbox.
The fix for this is pretty simple.
1. Navigate to System > Preferences > Startup Applications on the main menu.
2. Click on Add.
3. Give a name. I used ‘Fix Audio Control issue’. This is only to identify it, in case you run through the list at a later time and wonder what the entry is for.
4. For Command, type ‘/usr/bin/pulseaudio’ without the single quotes.
5. Click on Add, and then on Close.
6. Logout to close the X session, and restart it by typing ‘startx’ without the single quotes.