There's a lot you can do to protect your digital privacy, and replacing some of the tools you use daily with ones that respect and protect your privacy is a crucial first-step.
My Top 6 Tools for Online Privacy
- Brave Browser: Browser based on Chromium but privacy-focused, with built-in blocking for trackers and ads. I don't use any other browser unless something is broken.
- ProtonMail: I use this for all my email needs, including my personal domains. Full end-to-end encryption and blocking of email trackers. I barely get any spam since I switched to this. Independently audited.
- ProtonVPN: From the same company that gives you ProtonMail, this is my VPN of choice and I use it daily except when I'm at home. It's so fast, sometimes I verify if the VPN is still up. Independently audited.
- Signal: My messaging app of choice - end-to-end encryption, privacy-focused with no data harvesting, independently audited. It has all the bells and whistles that you need in a messaging app.
- Pi-Hole: Internal DNS server that acts as a sinkhole and blocks ads and malicious websites at the network level. Needs to be setup correctly.
- Cloudflare DNS: Fast and privacy-focused DNS service - much faster than Google and no tracking. I set all my devices to use Pi-Hole for DNS, and Pi-Hole uses Cloudflare.
If you end up using any of these tools, let me know what you think!